Friday, November 12, 2010

The Struggle . . . . . .

I was thinking today about a couple that I knew from college, the Pittmans. I didn't know them well, but I know who they are. The wife, Jessica is undergoing major brain surgery today. Click here if you want to know more about that. I have been checking the updates and tearfully praying for them. I can't imagine what they are going through, the fear, pain, and uncertainty.

Whenever I hear of someone I know having a major struggle like this, my first emotion is shock, and then certain thoughts always fill my mind. How can this be happening? How are they dealing with this? Why did this happen to them? How can someone get through something like this? What an incredibly difficult, and scary situation. And I pray.

The older I get, the more I see my friends, family, acquaintances, and friends of friends dealing with the hardest parts of life, and it seems like I hear a new tragic story everyday. It made me realize one thing. Everyone has "a thing." I don't really know what to call it, a struggle maybe. It's that thing that changes your life forever and really, shapes who you are from then on.
My college roommate lost her brother to cancer before she was 30.
My best friend from college now has Lupus.
Another acquaintance from college lost her husband in a car accident about a year after graduation.
A high school friend of mine recently lost his newborn daughter.
A couple I know is dealing with devastating marital issues.

A divorce, an illness, a child born disabled, a rebellious child, families that don't get along, the devastating loss of a loved one. All of these things make us secretly think to ourselves, "I'm so glad it's not me." But most of us have our own struggle even if it's one that no one sees like addiction or chronic depression, and we deal with it in our own way, with God's help.  Everyone has a struggle.  Well, I suppose there are a few that sail through life unscathed, but not many.  As difficult and devastating as these things are, the sun will still rise tomorrow, and God leads us through.  God is faithful.  Unfortunately, having one such struggle doesn't exempt us of another one. It reminds me of the song "Everybody's Free to Wear Sunscreen."  Remember this song?  Although I don't agree with all of the "wisdom" here, there is one part that always comes to my mind when struggle has found someone I know.




Don't worry about the future.
Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.
The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 pm on some idle Tuesday.

Many of you know how true that statement is. Painfully true. There is no point in worrying.  The Bible makes that same point time and time again.  

I guess I don't have much of a point today.  I just had Jessica Pittman on my mind and it turned into a blog.  Please pray for her.  What ever struggle you have been handed in life, trust the Lord.

Matthew Chapter 625 "That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life...........27 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?.............30 And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?
31 "So don't worry about these things,....................32 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs.33 Seek the Kingdom of God* above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.  34 "So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today.




.

No comments: