Monday, March 8, 2010

The Red Sea Rules...

What a great weekend I had!  We went to PHOENIX!  Phoenix is about a 4 1/2 hour trip (before lunch and 2 potty stops), so we don't go very often, but I love it!  I live in a very rural area (an hour away from the closest Walmart people, ru-ral!).  So, a trip to Phoenix involves many things that I love and usually do without:  restaurants, places to shop, and my parents.  Yes, I love to go to Phoenix.  If you know me, you know my favorite place to shop in the city is Target, and I'll proudly admit that I went to three different Target stores in three days!  Every dollar spot is different right?!  We picked out Easter clothes for the kids and then decided to extend the clothing coordination to the whole family so that we could all look nice for the family portraits that we are getting at the end of April.  Actually the reason I was in and out of so many Target stores was in search of my husband's shirt in the right size.  The 3rd Target was the charm.  Of course, I couldn't find anything to match the family at Target, but I was so blessed to find just the right thing at Lane Bryant.  AND, I had a gift card to buy it!  (Thanks Momo and Papa!)  Whoohoo!  What a good time!



The reason we went to Phoenix this particular weekend was that I had plans to attend a Ministry Wives Breakaway.  This was a short retreat for wives of Assembly of God pastors, which I am!  It was so nice to visit with some old friends, and make some new ones.  Our speaker for this retreat was Kay Dekalb Smith.  She is a Christian singer, speaker, and comedian.  And I have to tell you she was HILarious!  I haven't laughed like that in a very long time.  If you get to a chance to go see her, I highly recommend it.
She has a serious side too, and, in her time with us, gave some great insights into dealing with difficult times. I want to share with you something that she shared with us this weekend.  It is a guide to dealing with hardship based on the book The Red Sea Rules, by Robert J. Morgan.   http://www.amazon.com/Red-Rules-Same-Will-Lead/dp/0785266496/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268068320&sr=1-1  (copy and paste that address if you are interested in a copy of the book)
 
When going through trying times, or difficult situations, we often wonder where God is.  Why isn't He listening to our prayers?  He is, He knows, He is there.  God may seem to be so distant, but He is so close.  It may seem like He doesn't care, but He does, even more than you do!!  Take heart that God is still with you, and still working in your life no matter what your circumstances.  The Red Sea Rules can help us take the right attitude to weather the storm.
Here are the Red Sea Rules:
 
1.  Realize that God means for you to be where you are.

2.  Be more concered for God's glory, than for your relief.

3.  Acknowledge your enemy, but keep your eyes on the Lord.

4.  Pray!

5.  Stay calm and confident, and give God time to work. 

6.  When unsure, just take the next logical step by faith.

7.  Envision God's enveloping presence.

8.  Trust God to deliver in His own unique way.

9.  View your current crisis as a faith builder for the future.

10.  Don't forget to praise Him!


I love it!  What a fresh, helpful perspective.  The second one is my favorite, don't we all want live our lives to glorify God?  I hope you do.  He loves you and wants, more than anything, to be a part of your life.

Does one of these rules speak to you?  I would love to know.  Leave me a comment (about this, or about Target haha!!)

No comments: